A UM Future through Missional Lenses

Companions,

I'm about to embark on a series of entries here that will look at some recent documents that are being considered as foundational to the future of the UMC by several groups of its leaders, most notably the Council of Bishops and the Connectional Table.

Specifically, I will be looking at the 10 Provocative Questions from Lovett Weems, the 4 Focus Areas proposed by the Connectional Table, and the 7 Vision Pathways from the Council of Bishops.

The purpose of the upcoming series is neither to defend nor to critique any of these things, but rather to imagine what each might look like through missional lenses.

I do not claim at ALL to have a monopoly on being able to try to see through such lenses. I just think I can make out a few things using them-- things that might be helpful (or not!) as we try to move from an attractional to a missional future.

I invite any and all here not only to comment on the entries as they roll out over the next weeks and months, but also to start your own.

So be on the lookout-- these will start appearing soon!

Peace in Christ,

Taylor Burton-Edwards